Delivery apps like Postmates and DoorDash are some of the fastest-growing services, and delivery driver jobs with both apps are now available in most major US cities. As a delivery driver with Postmates and DoorDash, you use your own car to make deliveries. You’re paid for each delivery and you can set your own hours.
But are delivery jobs with Postmates and DoorDash good jobs? How much can you make as a driver, and what are the requirements? I looked into both jobs and found that it’s pretty easy to get the job, and the pay is around $10–$15 per hour, before factoring vehicle-related expenses.
Driving for Postmates
Postmates is an on-demand deliver service that allows users to request deliveries of all types from local stores and restaurants. Most Postmates deliveries are for food or small items like home and office supplies.
What Postmates drivers do
- Receive delivery requests within the Postmates app and navigate to the restaurant or store
- Postmates customer support phones in the order if they can. If they can’t, you make the order yourself at the store
- You use a special Postmates credit card to pay for the order
- You take a picture of the receipt and send it to support through the app
- Take the item and deliver it to the customer’s location
Postmates driver requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
- Have access to an insured vehicle, or a bicycle
- Pass a background check
Postmates driver pay
- You’re paid per mile and per minute
- Receive 100% of tips. Customers can tip inside the app after the delivery is complete
- $12/hour guarantees are offered in some cities. You must accept 100% of requests to qualify
- Blitz pricing, similar to Uber’s surge pricing, increases the delivery fees during peak hours
- Refer a new driver and earn a $50 bonus
- Expect to make $10–$15/hour in most markets
Sign up to drive for Postmates with my referral link to be eligible for the best new-driver bonuses. Bonus amounts vary city to city.
Driving for DoorDash
DoorDash is another on-demand food delivery app that hires independent drivers to do deliveries. Unlike Postmates, DoorDash orders are restricted to food only.
What DoorDash drivers do
- Your receive delivery requests inside the DoorDash app and deliver them to the customer
- Sometimes the customer enters their order through the app and pays through the app, all you do is pick up the food
- Sometimes you have to personally make the order and pay with a special DoorDash credit card called the ‘Red Card’
- Sometimes customer support enters the order and all you do is pay with the Red Card and pick up the delivery
- You have to select a shift within a geographical area at least one hour before you drive
- Delivery requests will be limited to the geographical region you select
DoorDash driver requirements
- Must by 18 years or older
- Have access to a car or bicycle
- Own an iPhone or Android smartphone
- Driver’s license and valid insurance
- Two years of driving experience
- Clean driving record
DoorDash driver pay
- $6 per delivery, flat fee
- Tipping feature in the app encourages customers to tip
- San Francisco Bay area only: Make $100 per new driver referral
- Expect to make around $10–$15/hour
If you want to get started, all you have to do is apply to become a DoorDash driver online, then complete a brief in-person orientation. New driver bonuses in some cities are up to $100!
Are delivery driver jobs good jobs?
Delivery jobs with Postmates and DoorDash are flexible jobs that allow you to schedule your own hours and put your car to use as a productive asset.
Upsides to Postmates and DoorDash jobs
- Flexible. Schedule your own hours. Hop into a shift with only one hour of notice
- Earn tips. Getting lucky with generous tipping can put your pay into the $15–$20/hour range
- Easy to get hired, easy to get started
- Easier vehicle requirements. Unlike Uber and Lyft, you can drive for these apps with any working car.
- Great way to use your car to make money if you can’t get hired by Uber or Lyft or if you were deactivated
- No guaranteed wage, potential low pay. If you don’t get many deliveries, your pay can be less than the minimum wage!
- Fuel costs, wear and tear on your car. You can write off mileage on your taxes, but you might still find that fuel expenses plus wear and tear on your car seriously eat into your income
Want to try Delivery? Apply here and get the best new-driver bonuses
The best part about jobs with DoorDash and Postmates is that it’s easy to apply and get started. Once you complete the easy application process you can be on the road within days.