DoorDash is a food delivery apps that allows anyone with a vehicle to become an on-demand delivery driver. Customers order food with the DoorDash app and pay the driver a fee, and sometimes a tip. It’s easy to get hired, the pay is around $10–$15/hour, and you can set your own hours.
To get a DoorDash job as a driver, you’ll have to meet the requirements outlined below.
DoorDash driver requirements
- You must be 18 years or older
- Have access to a vehicle or bicycle
- Any car, truck, motorcycle, or scooter
- Own an iPhone or Android smartphone
- Driver’s license with at least one year of driving experience
- Valid insurance — name on policy
- Provide a social security number (for a background check)
- Pass a background and driving record check
- Complete an orientation online or in person
Where can you drive for DoorDash?
Currently you can drive for DoorDash in these cities: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Minneapolis / St. Paul, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Orange County, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose / Silicon Valley, SF East Bay, Seattle / Bellevue, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington, D.C.
Here’s a list of all DoorDash markets in the US.
DoorDash in Los Angeles and San Francisco – Best bonuses!
DoorDash is looking to add as many new Dashers as they can find in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and they’ve increased the new-Dasher bonus in LA and SF to all time highs. If you’re thinking about working for DoorDash and you’re in LA, SF, it’s worth a try.
If you’re thinking about starting with DoorDash, it’s a lot faster if you apply online then head to a DoorDash office to complete your application and pick up the gear you need to do the job
DoorDash Los Angeles office
2375 Prosser Ave, Los Angeles, CA, 90064
More about vehicle and bicycle requirements
Vehicle requirements are easy for DoorDash – Any working car or truck qualifies. You can also choose deliver with motorcycles, scooters, or bicycles. Bicycle delivery is only available in denser urban areas like San Francisco and Boston.
- No model year requirement
- No vehicle inspection
- No cosmetic requirements
- If your car runs and drives, it’s eligible
- Motorcycles and scooters qualify
- Bicycles qualify in some cities
More about the background and driving record check
DoorDash uses a third-party company called Checkr Inc. to run a background and driving record check. The DoorDash background check looks at the following:
Driving Record (Source: DoorDash)
- No major violations (e.g. DUI, reckless driving, or driving with a suspended license)
- Aged 18 or older with 2+ years driving experience
- No more than 1 moving violation if aged 20 or younger
- No more than 2 moving violations if aged 21 or older
- No violent crimes
- No sexual offenses
- No theft
- No property damage
- No felonies
To check the status of your background check: Visit applicant.checkr.com
You have to complete an online or in-person DoorDash orientation
Before you get on the road, DoorDash requires that you complete either an in-person orientation or an online orientation that helps familiarize you with the app and with the job you’ll be doing. The online orientation is a brief series of videos, and an easy quiz at the end.
At the orientation you’ll learn:
- How to schedule a delivery shift
- How to use the app to do delivery requests
- When and how to pay for orders with the special “Red Card” credit card
- How to get paid, how the payment system works
- How to get support
The in=person orientation only lasts about an hour, and at the end you’ll be given an insulated box and bags for food storage. The online orientation is much shorter, and afterward you will be asked to show up to a physical address to pick up your gear.