DoorDash is one of the latest food delivery apps that allows anyone with a car to become an on-demand delivery driver. Customers order food with the DoorDash app and pay the driver a $6 fee. It’s easy to get hired, the pay is around $10–$15/hour, and you can set your own hours.
To get a DoorDash job as a driver, you’ll have to meet the requirements I outline below.
DoorDash driver requirements
- You must be 18 years or older
- Have access to a car or bicycle
- Own an iPhone or Android smartphone
- Driver’s license with at least two years of driving experience
- Valid insurance — name on policy
- Pass a background and driving record check
- Complete an orientation
Where can you drive for DoorDash?
Currently you can drive for DoorDash in these cities: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Minneapolis / St. Paul, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Orange County, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose / Silicon Valley, SF East Bay, Seattle / Bellevue, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington, D.C.
More about vehicle and bicycle requirements
You can choose to deliver for DoorDash with either a vehicle or a bicycle. Bicycle delivery is only available in denser urban areas like San Francisco and Boston.
For vehicles, DoorDash will allow you to deliver in just about any running car or truck. There is no vehicle inspection, no model year requirement, and no cosmetic requirements. If your car runs and drives, it’s eligible.
More about the background and driving record check
DoorDash uses a third-party company called Checkr Inc. to run a background and driving record check that looks at the following:
Driving Record (Source: DoorDash)
- No major violations (e.g. DUI, reckless driving, or driving with a suspended license)
- Aged 18 or older with 2+ years driving experience
- No more than 1 moving violation if aged 20 or younger
- No more than 2 moving violations if aged 21 or older
- No violent crimes
- No sexual offenses
- No theft
- No property damage
- No felonies
More about the DoorDash orientation
Before you get on the road, DoorDash requires that you attend a local orientation that helps familiarize you with the app and with the job you’ll be doing.
At the orientation you’ll learn:
- How to schedule a delivery shift
- How to use the app to do delivery requests
- When and how to pay for orders with the special “Red Card” credit card
- How to get paid, how the payment system works
- How to get support
The orientation only lasts about an hour, and at the end you’ll be given an insulated box and bags for food storage.