The competition between Uber and Lyft is so fierce that Uber offers a $500 bonus to any Lyft driver who signs up to drive for Uber. If you follow the right sequence, you can end up with new driver bonuses from both Uber and Lyft, and the huge $500 Uber bonus for Lyft drivers. Here’s how to get the $500 bonus for Lyft drivers, and how to max out your other new driver bonuses.
How to get the Uber bonus for Lyft drivers
- To qualify, you have to show Uber that you’ve been paid by Lyft (or Sidecar) at least once, and you have to be a brand new Uber driver
- Sign up to drive for Uber with this link
- Complete the Uber application process, upload all necessary documents
- Email Uber and let them know you’re a Lyft driver looking to get the $500 bonus. Attach a screen capture of your Lyft earnings to this email (instructions below)
- Complete 25 Uber rides within 30 days
- After you complete the rides, you should be automatically notified via email that you received your bonus. Expect to see your money on the next pay statement
- If you think you fulfilled all the requirements for the bonus but you didn’t get notified or paid, email Uber ASAP. Be patient, it could take a week or two to resolve the issue
Related: Find out if you qualify to drive and learn how to apply
Is there a date requirement or a cutoff?
As of 7/1/2015 there are no longer any cutoff dates. In the past, Uber only offered the bonus to drivers who had driven before a certain date, usually months before the promotion began. Nowadays, you only need to drive for Lyft long enough to get one paycheck to qualify for the Uber promotion. This is subject to change and Uber might add a cutoff date in the future. I’ll keep you posted: Make sure to subscribe below so you don’t miss out on updates on big promotions like this one.
Screenshot images show Uber that you’ve worked for Lyft
The best way to prove to Uber that you’ve driven for Lyft is to take a screen capture of your Daily Earnings Summary or a Weekly Earnings Summary from Lyft and send it to Uber in an email attachment.
If you’re not sure how to take a screenshot, here’s what to do
Open an email that contains your Lyft pay summary and follow these instructions:
- Android phone: Hold the Volume and Power buttons at the same time. The image will appear in your photo app.
- iPhone: Hold the Home and Power buttons at the same time. The image will appear in your Photos app.
- PC: Press Print Screen. Open Paint, go to Edit>Paste
- Mac: Hold command + Shift + 4, drag your mouse over the screen and release. The image will appear on your desktop.
After you take the screen cap, attach the image to your email to Uber by either dragging the image from the desktop into the email, or by clicking the attach button and selecting the screen cap file.
My story: I got the $500 bonus!
I began driving for Lyft in 2013 and drove until 2014 without ever signing up to drive for Uber. I liked Lyft and I didn’t want to drive for Uber. Like many others back then, when Lyft provided amazing support and community for drivers, I was “Lyft loyal.” But once Uber started offering the $500 bonus for Lyft drivers, I was willing to make the jump to Uber just to earn the bonus.
I signed up to drive for Uber, gave one ride, then BAM! $500 showed up on my next Uber pay statement. Back when I claimed the bonus in early 2015, all you had to do was give ONE Uber ride to claim the money. These days, you have to give 20–30 rides for Uber within 30 days to earn it.
Next Step: Get your bonus
If you’ve met the requirements, click this link to apply to drive for Uber. Carefully follow my instructions and don’t give up on your bonus! It’s worth the effort.