Want to use a different credit card to pay for an Uber ride? Switching between payment options in the Uber app is easy, but some of the steps in the process might not be obvious to you — They weren’t for me! Here’s how to add and select a different credit card or payment option.
How to select a different credit card or payment option in the Uber app
- Open the Uber app
- Tap the “Set Pickup Location” button
- Next to your credit card number, tap “Change”
- Select a different payment option or enter a new one
Other Uber payment options
- Google Wallet – Android users only
- Apple Pay – iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users only
- AmEx Points – Enroll in the AmEx Membership Rewards program to be eligible
- Capital One Quicksilver or QuicksilverOne cards – Get 20% off any Uber
What to do when your card expires
Most of us only input one credit card into the Uber app, so when our current card expires and we get a replacement, our first instinct is to delete the old card first then add in the new one. Sadly that simple action will be met with an error message: “You must have at least one payment method active.” To get around that, add in your new card first, then delete the old one. It may take a day or two for the old card to disappear, so as long as your new card is approved don’t worry about the old one still showing up.
Credit cards are attached to accounts: You can’t always share credit cards with a friend
Uber connects credit cards, phone numbers, and accounts to prevent multi-accounting tricks that can net endless free first-time rides. Sometimes you might not be able to add and select a credit card that’s already in use by another account.