Of all the questions I get from people who want to become Uber drivers, the most common one is, “Does my car qualify? Can I drive for Uber with my car?” If you want to try driving for Uber with the vehicle you already own, the first step is to find out if your current car meets the requirements of any of the Uber services.
If it looks like your car qualifies, the best next step is to apply to become a driver with my referral link.
The guide below covers the most current Uber vehicle requirements and provides example cars to give you a sense for the kind of car that qualifies for the service. Each Uber market might have slightly different requirements that are subject to change, and Uber ultimately holds the right to determine whether you can drive or not.
Use this post as a general guide, and if you think your car qualifies, the next step is to apply to drive. It doesn’t take very long to find out if your car will be accepted.
General Uber vehicle requirements
All Uber services share these requirements:
- Must be 10 years old or newer (model year 2006) – See exceptions below
- Must be a four-door car, truck, or minivan. Manual (standard) transmission is OK
- Must pass a vehicle inspection
- Driver’s full name must be on the insurance for the vehicle
- Driver’s name does NOT have to be on vehicle registration
- Driver must pass a background check (See it here)
Restrictions: Vehicles that don’t qualify for any Uber service
- No full-size vans (Ford Transit, Ford E-Series, GMC Savana)
- No taxis or other marked vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles (salvage title)
Need a car? Learn how to lease or buy a car for Uber
- Should you buy, rent, or lease a car to drive for Uber?
- Rent a qualifying car through Hyrecar. See if Uber works for you before committing to buying or leasing a car
Want to apply to drive? You don’t need a car to apply!
- Apply to drive for Uber with my referral link and you’ll be eligible for the best new-driver bonus in your area.
UberX vehicle requirements
UberX is the lowest-cost Uber service that almost any vehicle year 2006 or newer will qualify for. The majority of ride requests in most markets are for UberX rides.
- 10 years old or newer (model year 2006) in most cities
- Exceptions: 15 years old (model year 2001) is OK in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco
- Must seat four passengers and contain 4 seat belts
- Four full doors – No center-opening doors like the ones found in Honda Element, Mazda Rx-8,
Example UberX cars: Toyota Prius, Honda Accord, Mazda3 and Mazda6, Toyota Camry and Corolla, Ford Focus, Nissan Altima, Ford F-150, Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Cruz, Chevrolet Cobalt, Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Passat
UberXL vehicle requirements
UberXL is the service for larger groups of 5–6 passengers. Fare rates for XL are much higher than X, so you’ll make more money per ride if you drive an XL vehicle.
- Must seat six passengers and contain six seatbelts, not including driver
- 2006 or newer (Or 2001 in in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco)
Example UberXL cars: GMC Acadia, Dodge Caravan, Honda Odyssey, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition, Honda Pilot, Dodge Durango, Jeep Cherokee, Chevrolet Suburban, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Quest
UberSelect vehicle requirements
This service gives riders the option to get a ride in an entry-level luxury vehicle with a leather interior. Formerly known as UberPlus
- Entry-level luxury sedans
- 2007 or newer
- Must seat four passengers, not including driver
- Leather interior
- Not available in all Uber markets
Example UberSelect cars: Audi A3 and up, BMW 3 Series and up, all Lincolns, Mercedes C-Class and up, Volvo S60, Acura, Cadillac, Hyundai Genesis, all Infinitis.
UberBLACK and UberSUV vehicle requirements
The high-end, high-cost Uber service that has the highest vehicle and driver standards.
- Black on Black in excellent condition: Black paint, black leather interior
- 2012 or newer
- Commercial registration and insurance
- Must have city-specific airport permits (when required)
Example UberBLACK cars: Audi A6 A7 A8, BMW 5 & 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class and S-Class, Porsche Panamera, Tesla Model S, Jaguar XF and XJ, Cadillac XTS
Example UberSUV cars: Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Suburban, Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon XL, Infiniti QX80, Mercedes GL-Class, Lexus LX
Related: Learn more about Uber Black driver requirements
UberLUX vehicle requirements
A luxury car service that only accepts the top models from luxury brands.
- Full-size luxury vehicle
- 2010 or newer
- Only available in Los Angeles
Example UberLUX cars: Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera, Tesla Model S, Range Rover
If your car qualifies for more than one service, you’ll get ride requests for each
If you’re signed up with an UberXL vehicle, by default you’ll get requests from both UberX and XL riders unless you ask Uber to only send you XL requests. XL rates are higher than X, but rider demand is usually lower, so most XL drivers choose to receive both X and XL rides.
The same goes for Select: You’ll receive UberX requests unless you request not to.
Does your car qualify for Uber?
Ultimately, the only way to find out if your particular car qualifies is to apply to become a driver. After you let Uber know what kind of car you have and provide basic personal information, you’ll be told if you should move forward to complete the $20 vehicle inspection. If you pass the vehicle inspection and the background check, you’ll be cleared to drive.
What to do if you need a car to drive for Uber
If you don’t currently have access to a car that qualifies for Uber, there are several options that many other Uber drivers use to get access to qualifying cars
- Buy a car
- Lease a car through Uber Xchange
- Rent a car through Hyrecar. This is the best option if you want to try Uber without committing to buying a car
If you want to buy a car for Uber, start by looking here:
- 1-800 Auto Yes - One-step application process
- Automotive.com - Shop for cars and loans
- myAutoloan.com - A fast way to see which types of auto loans you qualify for