Want to try the ride sharing service Lyft? If you decide to take a ride in the pink mustachioed cars, don’t pay full price! There are two really good ways for new users to get a cheap ride: promo codes and groupons.
What’s the better deal? You can only be a new user once, so choose the right deal and your first few Lyft rides will be extra cheap.
Lyft is currently running limited-time and limited-quantity groupon offers online. Offers are location-based, so your results may vary.
Here’s what’s good about Lyft Groupon offers
- Huge Discounts, up to 75% off: $5 for $20 and $10 for $30
- Groupon is trustworthy. No ripoffs to worry about
Here’s what’s not so good about Lyft Groupon offers
- Limited time and quantity — It’s easy to miss an offer
- Location based — Lyft might not be running an offer in your area
- Groupons expire after 90 days — If you forget to use your Groupon, you’re out of luck.
- Most Groupons are only for new users, so if you’ve already taken a Lyft these won’t work. Look out for the fine print!
Lyft Promo Codes
Lyft also offers promo codes that promise completely free Lyft credit. You’ll find promo codes on sites like dealsvario, or you might hear about a promo code from a friend or a Lyft driver.
Here’s what’s good about lyft promo codes
- Totally free. No purchase necessary
- Some never expire — Promo codes given out by Lyft drivers always work for new users
- Some are for existing users, so if you’ve already paid for a Lyft these will work for you
- You might get lucky and find a huge Lyft promo code given out at a Lyft launch party, but these expire very quickly
Here’s what’s not so good about Lyft promo codes
- Many are only for new users
- The Lyft credit is often smaller than the amount offered by Groupon
What’s the better deal?
If you’re not sure whether you want to spend any real money on Lyft, I recommend using a new user promo code. You don’t have to spend any money and you don’t have to deal with the many restrictions that Groupons puts in their offers. Here’s a Lyft promo code that works: DOUG1682.
How Lyft promo codes and Groupons work
After you download the free Lyft smartphone app, you’re asked to link to your Facebook profile and enter your credit card information. After you’ve done that, there is a “Lyft Credits” area inside the app that allows you to input promo codes and coupon codes.
That’s where you’ll input your promo code or the code given to you when you buy the Groupon. Check out the image below to see how to input your code in the Lyft app: