Did you know that you can add up to 5 stops on an Uber ride? Multiple stops make it easy to pick up friends or do a round trip.
But Uber drivers will only wait up to 3 minutes at each stop, so make your stops quick!
You can even do a round trip by adding stops. Set your first stop, then set your second stop as your original location.
Read on to learn more! And see why some drivers don’t like to do stops.
How to add stops to an Uber trip
To add more than one stop to your Uber trip, start on the Home screen and tap the Where to? box, then tap the plus (+) sign next to the text entry box.
You can add up to 5 stops. If you make a mistake, tap the X next to a stop to remove it.
Uber now allows up to 5 stops, up from 3.
How to do a round trip
You can do a round trip in an Uber by adding multiple stops. Follow these steps:
- On the Home screen, tap the ‘Where To?’ text box
- Enter the location of where you want to go first
- Tap the + sign to add your original location as the final stop
In other words, you can do a round trip by setting your second stop as your original location.
With this method, you’ll be able to do a round-trip without losing your driver. Just make sure the stops take less than 3 minutes.
If your driver ends the trip because you took longer than 3 minutes at your stop, request a second Uber and understand that it’s not the driver’s fault.
Why use this method? One ride is cheaper than two!
How to add a stop during your ride
If you need to add another stop mid-trip, tap on the driver’s info box at the bottom of the screen.
Find Your current trip and tap Add or Change to add another stop or change your destination.
The cost of your ride may change after you add additional stops.
Use multiple stops to:
- Pick up or drop off a friend
- Drop off a pre-paid letter or package at a mailbox or shipping store
- Quickly visit a store to pick up one or two items
- Do a quick round trip
Don’t use multiple stops to do this:
- A grocery store trip to stock up on supplies
- Order food at a long drive-thru line
- Any bank errand other than using the ATM
- Any errand that takes longer than 3 minutes
You can’t do multiple stops in an UberX Share!
UberX Share trips don’t allow multiple stops. Request UberX or another Uber service if you need multiple stops.
Why some Uber drivers don’t like to do multiple stops
If you visit driver forums online, you’ll find that many drivers prefer not to do rides with multiple stops.
The main complaint from drivers is that rides with multiple stops typically involve lots of waiting for little extra pay.
Drivers are only paid approximately $0.20 per minute, so there is little incentive to wait around at stops.
Many passengers aren’t considerate of their driver’s time and don’t know how low the pay for wait time actually is.
And passengers can be dishonest about how long a stop will be, or the stop can take longer than anticipated.
So if you’re a passenger, make your stops as short as possible and make sure to enter all stops before you request the ride so your driver knows your entire trip plan as soon as the ride begins.
More essential Uber tips
- What’s the difference between UberX, XL, Plus, Select, and Black?
- Understanding Uber fees: The cancellation fee, cleaning fee, and more
- The most reliable way to contact Uber customer service
- How much does Uber cost? Uber fare estimator?