cOf all the questions I get from people who want to become Uber drivers, the most common one is, “Can I drive for Uber with my car? Does my car qualify? ” The first step is to find out if your current car meets the requirements of any of the Uber services.
This page covers the most current Uber vehicle requirements and provides example cars to give you a sense for the kind of cars that qualify for each of the various Uber services. It’s important to note that each Uber market might have slightly different requirements that are subject to change, and Uber ultimately holds the right to determine whether you can drive or not.
- Uber Vehicle Requirements
- The Uber Vehicle Inspection
- How to Rent a Car For Uber
Uber Vehicle Requirements
- Vehicle must be 10 years old or newer – Varies city to city. See how to find the exactly model year required in your city
- Must be a four-door car, truck, or minivan. Manual (standard) transmission is OK
- Vehicle must have seating and seatbelts for 4 passengers, not including the driver
- Must pass a mechanical vehicle inspection
- Driver’s full name must be on the insurance for the vehicle
- Driver’s name does NOT have to be on vehicle registration
- Driver must pass a background check and driving record check (See background check details here)
Restrictions: Vehicles that don’t qualify for any Uber service
- No full-size vans (Ford Transit, Ford E-Series, GMC Savana, etc)
- No taxis or other marked vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles (salvage title)
- No commercial markings or advertisements
Need a car? Learn how to lease or buy a car for Uber
This post is a general guide to introduce you to Uber’s vehicle requirements. If you think your car qualifies, the next step is to apply to drive. It doesn’t take very long to find out if your car will be accepted.
Related reading for Uber applicants
- What’s the difference between UberX, XL, Select, and Black?
- Uber driver requirements: Do you qualify to drive?
- How much do Uber drivers make? My income survey
UberX Vehicle Requirements
UberX is the lowest-cost Uber service. Almost any 4-door vehicle that is 10 years old or newer will qualify as long as it is in good mechanical and cosmetic condition. The majority of ride requests are for UberX rides.
UberX vehicles must meet these requirements:
- 10 years old or newer in most cities
- 15 years old is OK in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco, and other cities
- Check uber.com/us/en/drive/*your-city*/vehicle-requirements/ for the model year requirement in your city
- Must have seats and seat belts for four passengers, not including the driver
- Four full doors – No center-opening rear doors like the ones found in Honda Element and Mazda Rx-8
Example UberX cars: Toyota Prius, Honda Accord, Mazda3 and Mazda6, Toyota Camry and Corolla, Ford Focus, Nissan Altima, Nissan Sentra, Ford F-150, Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Cruz, Chevrolet Cobalt, Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Passat, Chrysler 300 and 200.
Find the Cheapest Insurance Quotes in Your Area
UberXL Vehicle Requirements
UberXL is a service intended for groups of 5–6 passengers. Fare rates for XL are much higher than X, so you’ll make more money per ride if you drive an XL vehicle.
- Must seat six passengers and contain six seatbelts, not including driver
- Typically same model year requirement as Uber X, but varies
Example UberXL cars: GMC Acadia, Dodge Caravan, Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Ford Flex, Dodge Durango, Dodge Grand Caravan, Jeep Cherokee, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Yukon XL, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Quest, Chevy Traverse, Hyundai Santa Fe
Uber Select Vehicle Requirements
UberSelect gives riders the option to get a ride in an entry-level luxury vehicle with a leather interior. Select costs more than UberX and XL.
- Entry-level luxury sedans
- 2009 or newer
- Model year varies city to city
- Must seat four passengers, not including driver
- Leather or vinyl interior – no cloth
- Not available in all Uber markets
Example UberSelect cars: Audi A3 and up, Acura RLX, Acura TL & TLX, BMW 3 Series and up, all Lincolns, Mercedes C-Class and up, Volvo S60, Acura, most Cadillacs, Hyundai Genesis, all Infinitis, Hyundai Genesis & Equus, Infinitis, Tesla Model S, Volvo S60 & S80.
Uber Comfort Vehicle Requirements
Uber Comfort offers larger vehicles with more legroom at a lower price than UberXL and Black. Uber Comfort is a popular option for airport trips and for riders who don’t want to ride in a compact car.
- Drivers must have at least 250 rides and a rating of 4.85 or higher
- Vehicle must have more legroom than smaller cars
- Vehicle typically must be newer than the UberX requirement
Example Uber Comfort vehicles: Minivans, SUVs, and larger sedans. Visit the vehicle requirements page for your city to see a list of eligible models.
Uber BLACK and Uber SUV Vehicle Requirements
The high-end, high-cost Uber service that has the highest vehicle and driver standards.
- Black on Black in excellent condition: Black paint, black leather interior
- 2012 for SUV and 2013 for Black
- Commercial registration and insurance
- Must have city-specific airport permits (when required)
- Full Uber black requirements and how to qualify for Black service
Example UberBLACK cars: Audi A6 A7 A8, BMW 5 & 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class and S-Class, Porsche Panamera, Tesla Model S, Jaguar XF and XJ, Cadillac XTS
Example UberSUV cars: Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Suburban, Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon XL, Infiniti QX80, Mercedes GL-Class, Lexus LX
Uber LUX Vehicle Requirements
A luxury car service that only accepts the top models from luxury brands.
- Full-size luxury vehicle
- 2012 or newer
- Not available in all cities
Example Uber LUX cars: Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera, Tesla Model S, Range Rover, Jaguar XK, Lexus LS, Bentley, Maybach, Rolls Royce
Uber EATS Vehicle Requirements
UberEATS is an on-demand food delivery service that has more lenient vehicle requirements. The main difference is that UberEATS accepts vehicles with 2 doors, and the vehicle can be as old as model year 1999. Read more about driving for UberEATS here.
How to Find The Model Year Requirement For Uber in Your City
Uber doesn’t make it easy to find the exact model year requirement in your city. Uber only displays very general requirements on the Uber driver application. And when you google search for the requirements in your city, you might find confusing, unclear results.
To find the exact model year requirement for Uber in your city:
- Go to uber.com/us/en/drive/*your-city*/vehicle-requirements/
- For example: uber.com/us/en/drive/los-angeles/vehicle-requirements/
For now, that’s the best way to go directly to the model year requirement in a specific city. You may need to go to uber.com/cities to see how your city is displayed in a URL.
What Does the Uber Vehicle Inspection Cover?
Many cities require that you have your vehicle inspected before you can begin accepting ride requests. You can have your vehicle inspected at a local Uber vehicle activation center, or at a state-certified mechanic in your area. Inspections at Uber activation centers are free, and mechanics typically charge around $20 – $30 for an inspection.
The inspection covers the basic mechanical condition of your car: Brakes, tires, lights, windows, and safety features are inspected.
To find a free inspection center, visit uber.com/us/en/drive/*your-city*/inspections (example: uber.com/us/en/drive/los-angeles/inspections/). From there, you’ll find inspection locations in the Vehicle Inspections area or Local Resources area.
If your car qualifies for more than one service, you’ll get ride requests for each
If you drive for Uber with a vehicle that is eligible for UberXL, Select, or other Uber services, by default you’ll get requests for all of the services that your vehicle is eligible for. For example, if you drive an SUV that qualifies for XL, you will receive UberX and XL requests.
How to enable or disable ride requests from other Uber services
You can select which types of trip requests you receive by visiting the Driving Preferences menu in the Uber app. Tap the bottom area of the home screen to open your Trip Planner. Then tap the icon in the bottom right to open Driving Preferences and tap on a service to enable or disable requests from that service.
The volume of UberXL and Select ride requests is typically much lower than the volume of UberX rides, so most drivers accept ride request from all Uber services.
What Happens if Your Car Becomes Too Old For Uber?
Uber updates their model year requirements once each year, so it’s possible for your car to age out of Uber’s system. You won’t be able to go online with that vehicle when it becomes too old for Uber. Uber calls the process ‘vehicle transitioning,’ a nice way of saying your car no longer qualifies.
Find Out: Does Your Car Qualify For Uber?
The best way to find out if your car is new enough to drive for Uber is to to go Uber.com/us/en/drive/*your-city*/vehicle-requirements/ (EX: uber.com/us/en/drive/los-angeles/vehicle-requirements/). From there, visit the Vehicle Requirements page to see the current model year requirement for your city.
Ultimately, the only way to find out if your particular car qualifies is to go through the application process. After you let Uber know what kind of car you have and provide basic personal information, you’ll be told if you should move forward to complete the background check and vehicle inspection. If you pass those, you’ll be cleared to drive.
Need a Car For Uber? Here Are The Options
If you don’t currently have access to a car that qualifies for Uber, there are several options that many other Uber drivers use to get access to qualifying cars. I wrote a detailed guide about how to buy, rent, and lease cars for Uber, but in summary these are your options:
- Buy a car, preferably an affordable used car
- Rent a car through HyreCar. This is the best option if you want to try Uber without committing to buying a car
- Rent a car through Uber’s partnerships with rental car companies
If you want to buy a car for Uber, start by looking here:
- 1-800 Auto Yes - One-step application process
The link above is my affiliate link. I may receive a commission for referring you.