Uber Eats is an on-demand food delivery app that allows Uber users to order food from local restaurants and have it delivered to their location. Uber Eats delivery drivers are independent contractors who pick up and drop off food orders, similar to driving for Postmates and DoorDash.
Uber Eats accepts vehicles 1999 or newer , so drivers with older cars that don’t qualify for Uber ridesharing services can instead drive for Uber Eats. If you’re interested in driving for Uber Eats, this article will tell you what the job is like, how much Uber Eats drivers get paid, and how you can sign up to drive.
- What is Uber Eats, And What do Eats Drivers do?
- Uber Eats Driver Requirements
- How Much Do Uber Eats Drivers Make?
- What it’s Like Driving For Uber Eats
- Is Driving For Uber Eats a Good Job?
What is Uber Eats?
Uber Eats offers on-demand food delivery from local restaurants. Customers choose menu items using the Uber EATs app, then Uber Eats drivers pick up the food and deliver it to the customer. It is similar to Postmates and DoorDash. Uber Eats drivers can work whenever they want without a schedule. Log into the app when you want to work, log out when you’re done.
- Uber Eats user guide for customers – Instructions for Uber Eats customers on how to order food, contact customer service, and get free food
What Uber Eats Delivery Drivers Do
- Uber Eats drivers pick up and deliver food to customers. Drivers don’t handle payment
- Drivers receive requests that tell you where to pick up and drop off the order
- Uber Eats drivers can be 19 years or older
- Uber Eats accepts vehicles 1999 or newer. Read the full Uber Eats vehicle requirements
- Some cities offer bike or scooter delivery. Bicycle delivery partners can be 18 or older
- You can choose to do only food deliveries while you work, or if your car qualifies you can also do regular Uber rides
- Uber Eats drivers earn around $8 – $12 per hour after accounting for vehicle expenses
- Drivers are paid a pickup fee, a drop off fee, and for mileage from the pickup to the customer. Uber takes a 25% cut
- Customers can tip inside the Uber app, or in cash. Drivers keep 100% of tips
How to Drive For Uber Eats
You can apply directly with Uber Eats on the Uber Eats website without becoming an Uber rideshare driver. If you’re already a regular Uber driver you can opt into receiving Eats request at partners.uber.com.
Uber Eats Driver Requirements
- You must be 19 years old or older (21 years old in Canada)
- You must have a driver’s license, insurance, and proof of vehicle registration
- 1 year of license history
- Vehicle requirements: 1999 or newer
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Bicycle and scooter delivery is available in some larger cities
- Bicycle partners must be 18 years or older
Find the Cheapest Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Already an Uber driver? How to Opt Into Uber Eats
If you’re not an Uber driver, you can apply directly to Uber Eats.
If you’re already an Uber driver, you can opt into eats deliveries at partners.uber.com. Click on the menu, then click “Deliveries.” You’ll reach a page that contains an opt-in button. You’ll then be told to wait for an activation email. In my experience, activation took around one day.
The activation email will have a subject line like “Welcome to Uber Eats” and will contain a training video and other basic tips that will help you understand how to do deliveries. Once you receive the activation email from Uber, a new option to toggle delivery requests will appear in the Uber driver app.
How to Enable or Disable Uber Eats Delivery Requests in the Uber Driver App
It is possible to enable and disable Eats deliveries in the Uber driver app. Inside the driver app, tap the bottom of the screen to bring up the Trip Planner menu. Tap on the icon in the bottom right corner to bring up your Driving Preferences. Tap on deliveries to enable or disable it, then tap Save to save your settings. If you enable both delivery and regular Uber requests, you can get both ride and delivery requests in the same driving shift.
How Much Do Uber Eats Drivers Make?
Uber Eats drivers can expect to make around $8 – $12 per hour after factoring in vehicle expenses. Delivery pay can vary quite a bit from day to day and hour to hour, and it’s crucial to work lunch and dinner rushes if you want to earn on the higher end of the pay scale. Uber delivery pay is lower than Uber ridesharing pay, which is closer to $11 – $16 per hour after accounting for expenses.
How do UberEats Drivers Get Paid For Deliveries?
Uber Eats drivers are paid for each delivery based on an equation that contains a pickup fee, a drop-off fee, and a mileage fee that covers the distance from picking up the food to dropping it off at the customer. Drivers receive 100% of any tips customers leave in the app.
Pay for an Uber Eats delivery = Pickup fee + Distance travelled from pickup to drop-off + time from pickup to delivery + drop-off fee. Uber takes a 25% cut of each order. If you have to do more than one drop off, you’ll get a drop-off fee for each different address that you have to deliver to.
Uber Eats payout = Pickup fee + Distance travelled from pickup to drop-off + time from pickup to delivery + drop-off fee – Uber’s 25% cut + tips
Uber Eats rate card in Los Angeles
- Pickup fee: $1.50
- Drop-off fee: $1.00
- Mileage fee: $0.60 per mile
- Time: $0.20 per minute
Example pay for an Uber Eats order in Los Angeles
$1.50 for pickup
+ $1.80 for mileage from pickup to drop off (3 miles at $0.60/mile)
+ $2 for time (10 minutes at $0.20/minute)
+ $1.00 for drop-off
– 25% Uber’s fee ($1.57)
= Total payout is $4.73
Drivers keep 100% of tips.
Uber Eats Launched a New Pay Model in Some Cities
In the fall 2019, Uber Eats rolled out a new pay model in some US cities that shows estimated earnings and the customer drop-off location on the delivery request acceptance screen. Under the old model, drivers didn’t see the customer drop-off location and had no way to accurately estimate how much they would earn from a delivery.
The new model may offer more payout information up front, but Uber Eats has not yet shared exactly how the up-front estimated earnings are calculated. So far, it seems similar to other models that use a black box equation to quantify distance, current order demand, and order difficulty. Uber Eats drivers on reddit report that earnings under the new model are lower than the previous model.
The new pay model is live in Connecticut, Baltimore, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis IN, Orlando, Tampa Bay, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City MO, Miami, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Columbus OH, Clevland OH, Raleigh-Durham NC, Portland, New Orleans, Memphis, Tacoma, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Minneapolis – St. Paul, Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, Jacksonville, New Jersey, Boston, New York City, NYC Suburbs, Upstate NY, Washington D.C.,
What is the Uber Plus Card?
Uber introduced a new payment feature called the Uber Plus Card, a card pre-loaded with funds that Eats drivers use to pay for orders at non-partnered restaurants. It is similar to the DoorDash Red Card and the Postmates Pex card. Currently drivers have to opt in to receive a Plus Card.
Eats drivers in eligible markets will see an opt in for the Plus Card in the Uber app. After receiving the Plus Card in the mail and activating it, drivers will become eligible to receive order requests that require a Plus Card. Drivers use the card to pay for orders when they arrive at the restaurant.
Uber Eats Driver Bonuses: Surge and Boost Earnings
During certain times of day, Uber creates geographical ‘Boost’ zones that offer an earnings multiplier for deliveries that begin within the Boost area. It is an incentive to drive in areas with high order demand. The app home screen will show where the Boost zone applies, the earnings multiplier, and the times where the multiplier is available. The Boost multiplier is added to your net fare, after Uber’s fee is subtracted and not including tips.
Surge pricing, another earnings multiplier triggered during times of high demand, is also available for Uber Eats and is applied to net delivery earnings.
If both Surge and Boost are running at the same time, you will only receive the higher of two amounts. You can’t earn both Surge and Boost on one order.
Uber Eats drivers can get tips: The in-app tipping feature
The Uber Eats app allows in-app tipping, and drivers keep 100% of tips. Customers can choose to leave a tip after the order if complete, or after they rate you. Many Uber Eats drivers report that tipping isn’t always consistent because Uber hasn’t always encouraged tipping in the past.
Driving For Uber Eats: What is it Like Doing Uber Eats Orders?
Uber Eats is an on-demand delivery service: Customers submit orders, then delivery jobs are sent to an available driver who is close to the restaurant. Order requests appear in the Uber driver app as a popup notification that shows the location of the restaurant. You have around 15-30 seconds to tap to accept the delivery request. After you accept the request, you will get more information about the pickup location and any special instructions from the restaurant. You’ll also be able to tap a button to contact the customer.
Do Uber Eats drivers have to schedule their shifts?
Uber Eats drivers do not schedule their shifts. Drivers simply turn on the app when they want to work, and turn it off when they are done. Other delivery companies such as DoorDash (more about the DoorDash scheduling system) require drivers to schedule hours.
How to pick up an Uber Eats order
After you tap to accept the order, navigate to the restaurant using the in-app GPS instructions (You can select a different navigation app in your app settings). Once you arrive at the restaurant, tap the button at the bottom of the screen that says “Pick up order.” You will then see the contents of the order, the customer’s name, and the order number. Give that information to restaurant employees and pick up the order when it is ready. After you pick it up, tap the check mark inside the app to confirm that you picked up the order.
How to drop off an Uber Eats order
After you confirm that you’ve picked up the order. A “Start trip” button will appear. Tap that button to trigger GPS directions to the customer. Once you arrive at the customer’s destination, the app will let you know if you need to wait in your car or walk up to the customer. Tap the ‘Confirm delivery’ button inside the app once you’ve completed the delivery and follow on screen instructions to rate the experience and complete the order.
What happens if the order is canceled?
If a customer cancels the order after you’ve picked it up, you will receive a payment equal to the pickup fee + drop-off fee + estimated mileage fee. Uber says to dispose of the food in any way you wish. Cancellations in other situations may not result in a payout.
Do Drivers Have to Get Out of Their Car to Drop Off Uber Eats Deliveries?
Depending on the options the customer chose during checkout, you may not need to go to the customer’s door to complete the delivery.When it’s time to navigate to your customer, the customer information will show a label that lets you know how to complete the order.
- Curbside drop-off: The customer comes to you. When you arrive at the customer’s location, they’ll be notified with a text that tells them to meet you at the curb.
- Deliver to door: Meet the customer at their address. If it’s not obvious where the customer will be based on the pin, call or text them to ask if they have a preferred meeting spot.
How Drivers Can Contact Uber Eats Driver Support
Drivers have a few ways of getting help when issues arise on an Uber Eats order. During an Uber Eats order there is a contact button that will put you in touch with Uber Eats driver support, and there are also buttons to contact the restaurant and the customer.
- If you have an issue picking up the order: Contact the restaurant. Contact info is available inside the Uber driver app
- If you picked up the order but can’t complete it: Contact Uber support
- If you’re having trouble dropping off the order: Contact the customer using the contact button inside the app
- If you can’t reach the customer: Contact Uber support
- Support number for Uber Eats drivers: 1-800-253-9435
Does Uber Eats Provide an Insulated Delivery Bag?
Uber does not provide free delivery bags to Eats drivers, so you’ll have to get your own. An insulated delivery bag will help keep hot orders hot and cold orders cold, so an insulated delivery bag can help you deliver a better experience.
If you have an Uber Greenlight Hub in your area, you may be able to buy a cheap bag there for around $5 – $10. If there isn’t a Hub near you, get one from Amazon or a grocery store.
Insulated grocery bags from Amazon will do the job, and they’re inexpensive.
Is Driving For Uber Eats a Good Job?
Uber Eats has easier vehicle requirements than regular Uber, so just about anyone with a car can deliver for Eats and earn money. You can drive whenever and wherever you want without having to work about scheduling shifts or dealing with a boss. That’s a big benefit if you need flexible work right now.
Benefits of driving for Uber Eats
- You can drive for Eats at 19 years old, or 18 if you use a bicycle. You have to be 21 or older for UberX. Too young for Uber? Try these other jobs
- The vehicle requirements are much more lenient. Just about any working car will qualify
- You don’t have to deal with passengers
- Flexible work: Work whenever you want, no need to schedule hours
Drawbacks of delivering for Uber Eats
- The pay can be low. It can dip beneath $10/hour if your area isn’t busy, and there’s no guaranteed minimum pay
- There are common work frustrations that can grind you down: Long waits at restaurants, traffic and parking, trouble contacting the customer or finding where exactly to deliver the food
Overall, if Uber Eats is in your area and you’re looking for flexible work, it’s worth a try.
Other Delivery Work Options: Postmates, DoorDash, Amazon Flex, Deliv
If you’re interested in driving for Uber Eats, you should also consider delivering for Postmates and DoorDash. Both are delivery services similar to Uber Eats: They are on-demand delivery apps that have lenient vehicle requirements and pay about the same as Uber Eats.
- Should you be a delivery driver for Postmates or DoorDash?
- The big difference between Postmates vs. Uber Eats
- DoorDash driver requirements: Do you qualify?