Many young people face this dilemma: You have a car, insurance, and driving experience, but you’re too young to drive for Uber. The flexibility and pay of gigs with Uber or Lyft might be appealing to you, but you must 21 years old to qualify. Are there any app-based jobs that hire younger drivers?
The good news for drivers under age 21 is that there are other driving gigs that you can do when you’re too young for Uber and Lyft: DoorDash, Postmates, Uber Eats, InstaCart, and others all accept drivers younger than 21.
How Old Do You Have to Be to Drive For Uber & Lyft?
Uber requires all drivers to be 21 years old or older. Drivers also need at least one full year of US licensing history. The minimum age requirement of 21 disqualifies a lot of people who want to work for Uber, but there are other options for work if you’re under 21.
Lyft driver age requirements are not the same in every city. In some cities Lyft requires drivers to be 21 or older, and in other cities the age requirement is 25 or older. To see the exact Lyft age requirements in your city and state, visit this Lyft page.
Even if you’re 21, you may not have enough drivers license history for Uber. Uber requires that all drivers under age 23 must have at least 3 years of licensing history. Lyft only requires one year of licensing history for drivers who are 21.
More About Driver Requirements:
Is there a way around the age requirement? Will Uber or Lyft make an exception for you?
Many readers ask if Uber and Lyft to make an exception to the age requirement. They don’t! Neither company will bend the rules for you, so it’s best to move on and try another gig.
Too Young For Uber or Lyft? These Services Hire Drivers Younger Than Age 21
If you’re 18 or 19 and have access to a car, insurance, and a clean licensing history, there’s good news: These services hire 18 and 19-year-olds, and they offer flexible work similar to Uber and Lyft.
- DoorDash — 18 years and older. Any working car qualifies. Apply to DoorDash
- Postmates — 18 years and older. Any working car qualifies. Apply to Postmates
- Uber Eats — 19 years and older and bicyclists 18 or older. Vehicle must be 20 years old or newer.
- Deliv — 18 and older with one year of driving experience.
- Instacart — 18 and older. Sign up for Instacart (our affiliate link)
- Shipt — 18 and older with one year of driving experience. Apply to Shipt
- Takl — 18 and older. Read more about Takl
- Caviar — 18 and older with 2 years licensing history
- Grubhub — 19 and older
- Bird — Hires scooter chargers 18 and older
- Lime — Hires scooter chargers 18 and older
- Pizza delivery — Drivers can be younger than 18 years
More Reading About Driving & Delivery Gigs
- DoorDash Driver Requirements
- Driving for Uber Eats: An Overview
- Should You Drive for Postmates or DoorDash?
- Shipt Shopper Requirements & Job Overview
Does Your Vehicle Qualify For Delivery Apps?
Another benefit of driving for a delivery app is that the vehicle requirements are much more flexible than Uber & Lyft vehicle requirements. Postmates and DoorDash will accept any vehicle. Uber Eats allows vehicles 20 years old or newer. Read full details in the article below.
Delivery Apps Hire Younger Drivers
You might notice that most of the services that hire younger drivers are delivery apps. DoorDash, Postmates, Uber Eats, Instacart, and Shipt Shipt are all delivery services that hire younger drivers. The added legal liability of driving a passenger is likely why Uber, Lyft, and all ridesharing apps require drivers to be 21 or older.
Not old enough AND you don’t have a car or licensing history? Try bicycle delivery
If you don’t have a car or you haven’t had your license long enough to qualify for a job, try looking into bicycle delivery. Postmates, DoorDash, and Uber Eats offer bicycle delivery in denser urban areas like San Francisco, Boston, NYC, or downtown Los Angeles.
To find out if a service offers bicycle delivery in your area, check the application page for each company. Bicycle delivery will be listed if it is available in your city.