Many young people face this dilemma: You have a car, insurance, and driving experience, but you’re too young to drive for Uber. The flexibility and pay of jobs with Uber or Lyft might be appealing to you, but you must 21 years old to qualify. And if you tried applying even though you were too young, you likely found out that Uber and Lyft won’t bend their rules for you. Are there any app-based jobs that hire younger drivers?
The good news for drivers under age 21 is that there are other on-demand driving jobs that you can do when you’re too young for Uber and Lyft: DoorDash, Postmates, UberEATS, InstaCart, Deliv, Bird, and Lime all hire workers younger than 21.
How old do you have to be to drive for Uber and Lyft?
Both Uber and Lyft require that drivers be 21 years old or older. Drivers also need at least one full year of US licensing history. The minimum age requirement of 21 disqualifies a lot of people who want to work for Uber and Lyft, but there are other options for work if you’re under 21.
Even if you’re 21, you may not have enough drivers license history for Uber. Uber requires that all drivers under age 23 must have at least 3 years of licensing history. Lyft only requires one year of licensing history for drivers who are 21.
More detail about driver requirements:
Is there a way around the age requirement? Will Uber or Lyft make an exception for you?
Many of my readers who are under 21 have asked Uber and Lyft to make an exception to the age requirement. It never works. Neither company will bend the rules for you, so it’s best to move on and try another job because asking Uber or Lyft to bend the rules won’t be productive.
Find the Cheapest Insurance Quotes in Your Area
If you’re too young for Uber or Lyft, these services hire drivers younger than age 21
If you’re 18 or 19 and have access to a car, insurance, and a clean licensing history, there’s good news: These services hire 18 and 19-year-olds, and they offer flexible work similar to Uber and Lyft.
- DoorDash — Hires drivers 18 years and older. Any working car qualifies. Read more about driving for DoorDash
- Postmates — Hires drivers 18 years and older. Any working car qualifies. Read more about driving for Postmates
- UberEATS — Hires drivers 19 years and older and bicyclists 18 or older. Vehicle year requirement of 1999 or newer. Read more about driving for UberEATS
- Deliv — Hires 18 and older with one year of driving experience. Read more about Deliv
- Instacart — Hires 18 and older. Sign up for Instacart (our affiliate link)
- Shipt — Hires 18 and older with one year of driving experience. Read more about Shipt
- Takl — Hires 18 and older. Read more about Takl
- Bird — Hires scooter chargers 18 and older
- Lime — Hires scooter chargers 18 and older
- Pizza delivery — Hires even younger than 18 years in some cases. My post comparing driving jobs
Does your vehicle qualify for a job with delivery apps?
Another benefit of driving for a delivery app is that the vehicle requirements are much more lenient than Uber & Lyft vehicle requirements. Read full details in the article below.
Delivery apps hire younger drivers
You might notice that most of the services that hire younger drivers are delivery apps. DoorDash, Postmates, UberEATS, Instacart, Shipt, and Deliv are all delivery services that hire younger drivers, and the work you do is to pick up a delivery and drop it off with a customer. The added responsibility of driving a passenger is likely why Uber, Lyft, and all ridesharing apps require drivers to be 21 or older.
Not old enough AND you don’t have a car or licensing history? Try bicycle delivery
If you don’t have a car or you haven’t had your license long enough to qualify for a job, try looking into bicycle delivery. Postmates, DoorDash, and UberEATS offer bicycle delivery in denser urban areas like San Francisco, Boston, NYC, or downtown Los Angeles.
To find out if a service offers bicycle delivery in your area, check the signup page for each company.