Using a vehicle you already own is one of the best ways to drive for Lyft.
But Lyft has a strict list of vehicle requirements that you car must meet before you can sign in and start giving rides.
This guide covers the most up-to-date Lyft vehicle requirements for 2023. And if your car doesn’t qualify, learn how you can rent one that does!
What you need to know:
- Lyft requires a 4-door vehicle that meets your city’s model year requirement
- Many cities require a vehicle inspection before you can drive
- If your car doesn’t qualify, The Lyft Express Drive program offers rentals starting at ~$250 per week
Drive for Lyft! Click here to apply
- Lyft Vehicle Requirements
- The Lyft Vehicle Inspection
- Vehicle Requirements FAQ
- How to Rent a Car for Lyft
- Full List of Vehicle Model Year Requirements
Lyft Vehicle Requirements: Does Your Car Qualify?
Below is the list of vehicle requirements for the standard Lyft ride type. Scroll down to see the vehicle requirements of other Lyft services such as XL and Lux.
- 4-door vehicle that meets the model year requirement in your city
- 5–8 seats, including the driver’s
- No major cosmetic damage
- Current vehicle registration
- No salvage or rebuilt title
- Must pass a vehicle inspection
- Driver must meet driver requirements
- Pass a background check and driving record check
- Driver must be listed on vehicle’s insurance policy
Restrictions: Vehicles that don’t qualify for any Lyft service
- Full-sized vans (12 or 15-passenger vans like Ford Transit and E-Series, GMC Savana)
- Salvage title or rebuilt title, even if the vehicle is in great condition
- Taxis and other commercially-marked vehicles
Apply without a car and rent with Lyft Express Drive
You can complete the Lyft application even if you don’t have access to a qualifying vehicle.
To apply without a car, visit the Lyft application and select “I need a car” on the application page.
That will allow you to complete the background screening process without listing a car. If you are approved, Lyft will send you information about the Lyft Express Drive rental car program.
Vehicle requirements for different Lyft services
Lyft offers several different levels of service, each with different vehicle requirements.
Generally, you can earn more if your vehicle has a larger capacity, or if it is a newer luxury model.
Learn the difference between the Lyft services, then use this article to see which service your vehicle qualifies for.
Lyft XL vehicle requirements — Minivans and SUVs for groups of five or more
A Lyft XL vehicle must fit at least six people total to accommodate groups of five passengers.
Minivans, SUVs, and vehicles with a large third row typically qualify for XL.
- Must seat six passengers (five passengers + driver)
- Same model year requirements as regular Lyft
- Lyft XL drivers receive ride requests for both XL and regular Lyft rides. You can’t choose to only receive XL requests
Lyft XL costs around 1.5x the price of a regular Lyft, so a vehicle that qualifies for XL has higher earning potential than a regular Lyft car.
Your driver profile will automatically allow Lyft XL ride requests if your car qualifies.
If you think your car qualifies for XL but you’re not getting XL requests, contact Lyft and ask to receive XL requests.
List of SUVs and minivans that qualify for XL
Note: This is not a complete list
Honda Pilot, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Toyota Highlander, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Uplander, Chevrolet Suburban, Chrysler Pacifica, Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Durango, Dodge Caravan, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon, Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Buick Enclave.
Lyft Preferred vehicle requirements
Lyft Preferred is a ride in newer cars with more legroom and highly-rated drivers.
Preferred is more expensive than a regular Lyft and offers higher payouts for drivers.
- 2015 or newer
- At least 37 inches of legroom
- Drivers must maintain a 4.9-star average
- Completed at least 300 rides
List of cars that qualify for Preferred
Note: This is not a complete list of the cars that qualify.
Sedans: Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Volkswagen Passat
SUVs: Ford Edge, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorrento, Mazda CX-9, Jeep Grand Cherokee L, Chevrolet Blazer, GMC Acadia, Volkswagen Atlas
Lyft Lux vehicle requirements
Note: Lyft is ending the Lux and Preferred ride modes in Octobber 2023
Lyft Lux is a luxury service for customers willing to pay more for a ride in a luxury vehicle.
- Must seat four passengers
- 2015 or newer: Varies in some cities
- Luxury vehicles from brands such as Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz
List of cars that qualify for Lux
Note: This is not a complete list. See the full list of vehicles at Lyft.com
All Tesla models, most BMW models, most Mercedes models, Audi A6 and up, Acura MDX, Ford Mach-E, most Infiniti models, most Lexus models, most Volvo models.
Lyft Lux Black and Lux Black XL vehicle requirements
Lyft Lux Black and Black XL are high-end services that compete with Uber Black.
They are the most expensive services and have the potential for higher earnings than any other Lyft service.
Vehicle requirements are the most strict for Lux Black and Lux Black XL, and to be eligible, you must maintain an average driver rating of 4.7 or higher.
- 2016 or newer
- Black exterior
- Leather or leather-like material only. No cloth interiors.
- Driver must maintain an average rating of 4.7 or higher.
Lyft Lux, Lux Black, and Lux Black XL drivers can limit ride requests to the higher-end services by going to the Vehicles and Devices area of the Lyft Driver app and changing the Ride Preferences setting.
List of cars that qualify for Lux Black and Lux Black XL
Note: This is not a complete list. See the full list of vehicles at Lyft.com
BMW 5 series and up, Mercedes CLS-Class and up, all Tesla models, Audi 6 series and up, Cadillac CT-6, GMC Yukon, Range Rover, Lexus ES and up, Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Aviator & Navigator, Toyota Land Cruiser, Infiniti QX60 and 80
The Lyft vehicle inspection
In most cities and states, your vehicle must pass an inspection. You can do the inspection at a Lyft Driver Center, locations listed in the Lyft driver app, or at any state-certified mechanic.
Read more: See the full Lyft vehicle inspection criteria
The Lyft inspection checks for the following:
- Tires: Need sufficient tread. On a US penny, tread must reach Lincoln’s head
- Windows: Free of major cracks, no cracks in driver’s field of vision. Windows must roll up and down
- A/C and heat: Must be present and functioning
- Wipers: Functioning and in good condition
- Lights: All must function. Headlights, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights
- Horn: Must function
- Seat belts: All must be present and functional
- Seats: Front seats must move forward and backward
- Body: Free of major damage or dents
- Tailpipe/muffler: Must meet state standards
Lyft vehicle requirements FAQ
My car is too old for Lyft but it’s nice. Will Lyft accept it?
Lyft makes no exceptions to model year requirements. Even if your older car is in pristine condition, Lyft will not accept it. Consider renting from a service like HyreCar.
Does Lyft accept paper plates (temporary registration)?
Many drivers can add their cars to the Lyft system with temporary registration documents. Just make sure that the VIN on the temporary documents matches the VIN on your insurance information. If you’re having issues with having temporary documents accepted, contact Lyft.
Do I need any special permits to drive with Lyft?
Most cities and states don’t require special permitting to drive with Lyft, but some do. To see the exact requirements for your area, head to this page and scroll down to your state. Lyft will give you instructions on how to obtain any necessary permits.
My car qualifies now, but can it become too old later on?
Lyft typically updates its model year requirement yearly and disqualifies cars that become too old.
For example, if the model year requirement in your city is 2008 or newer this year, next year it might become 2009.
In that scenario, a model year 2008 vehicle would become too old for the Lyft platform and no longer qualify. Lyft will typically warn you a few months in advance that your car is aging off of the platform.
How to rent a car for Lyft: The Express Drive program
If you don’t currently have access to a vehicle that qualifies for Lyft, you can rent a car from the Lyft Express Drive program or from one of several other rideshare rental companies.
Rideshare rentals include insurance and unlimited rideshare miles, so they’re a good way to get started with Lyft without purchasing a vehicle.
- The Express Lyft Drive program
- List of the top rideshare rental options
- HyreCar has rideshare-ready rentals for Uber and Lyft drivers
Find out if your car qualifies by applying!
There’s no perfect online tool that can tell you for sure if your car qualifies or not. The only way to be certain is to apply and find out!
Complete list of Lyft model year requirements
Find the oldest car that Lyft will accept. Updated January 2023.
Use the search bar to find your state.
|State||Oldest Vehicle Year|
|Arizona - Flagstaff, Phoenix, Tucson||2009|
|Arkansas - Fayetteville||2009|
|California - San Francisco, San Jose||2008|
|California - Eureka, Chico, El Centro, Merced, Redding, San Luis Obispo, Victorville, Yuba City||2007|
|Idaho - Boise||2008|
|Illinois - Chicago||2008|
|Indiana - Gary, Terre Haute, Muncie||2009|
|Kansas - Manhattan, Topeka, Western KS||2009|
|Massachusetts - Boston||2007|
|Minnesota - Minneapolis/St. Paul||2008|
|Mississippi - Gulfport-Biloxi||2009|
|Missouri - Springfield||2009|
|Missouri - St Louis||2011|
|Nebraska - Western||2009|
|Nevada - Las Vegas||2013|
|New Mexico - Roswell, Las Cruces, Taos||2009|
|New York State||2007|
|New York City||2007|
|North Carolina - Outer Banks||2009|
|Oklahoma - Ardmore and Woodward||2013|
|Oregon - Portland||2013|
|Oregon - Eugene||2008|
|Tennessee - Chattanooga, Clarksville, Knoxville, Memphis, Nashville||2007|
|Tennessee - Cookeville, Jackson, Johnson City||2009|
|Virginia - Fredericksburg||2009|
|Washington - Seattle & Tacoma||2011|
|West Virginia - Martinsburg||2009|
|Wisconsin - Green Bay||2008|
|Wisconsin - Janesville, Madison, Milwaukee, Sheboygan-Fond du Lac Area||2009|