How much will your ride with Lyft cost? Most people already know how much a cab will cost (too much), but not everyone can ballpark the cost of a Lyft. You can get a Lyft price estimate inside the app or on the Lyft website using their fare estimator tools. Lyft has up-front pricing inside the app, so if you set your destination, you’re now able to see how much your ride will cost.
To get a price estimate and see Lyft prices, you can download the Lyft app and input your destination to see an estimate, or you can find your city at lyft.com/cities and use the on-page fare estimate tool.
How much does Lyft cost? A breakdown of Lyft prices
Lyft calculates your fare using this criteria:
- Base Charge – A flat amount charged when you begin the ride
- Cost per mile – How much you’re charged each mile of the ride
- Cost per minute – How much you’re charged for each minute you’re inside the ride
- Service Fee – A flat fee charged for each ride. All of this goes to Lyft, not the driver
- Other Fees – Airport fees if you get picked up at an airport, toll charges if you use a toll road during your ride
The Lyft fare equation:
Base Charge + (Cost per minute * time in ride) + (Cost per mile * ride distance) + Trust and Safety Fee + Other Fees = Your Fare
Get a Lyft price estimate inside the Lyft app
Lyft offers upfront pricing, a feature that allows you to see how much your Lyft ride will cost before you make the ride request.
- Open the Lyft app and input your pickup location or drag the pin to your pickup location. Tap “Set Pickup”
- Tap “Add destination” and input your destination
- Tap the small “Price estimate” icon to see your estimate
Related Posts for Lyft Users
- You can also use the Uber app to get an Uber fare estimate
- Every feature inside the Lyft app, explained
Get a Lyft fare estimate at Lyft.com
- Head to the Lyft cities page
- Find your city and click on it
- Enter your pickup and drop-off locations into the fare estimator and click Get Estimate
Not sure if you understand how Lyft comes up with the estimate? Explanation below! Let’s go.
There’s a minimum Lyft price
Let’s say you leave the bar and hop in a Lyft for only three blocks. It’s a 45 second ride, about a half mile. By your estimate, it should only cost around $3. But wait! Each Lyft city has a minimum fare cost to guarantee that drivers are fairly compensated for short rides.
If the minimum fare is $4, you’ll be charged $4 even though the fare equation only adds up to $3.
Ranking the Lyft services from least expensive to most expensive
Lyft offers several services that each charge different prices. Here’s how the Lyft services rank from cheapest to most expensive.
- Lyft Line – Share your ride with strangers, like a carpool
- Lyft – A car to yourself, seats 4 passengers
- Lyft Plus – Larger vehicles, seating for more passengers
- Lyft Premier – Entery-level luxury car
- Lyft Lux – High-end luxury car
Lyft prices may be different in every city
Each Lyft market is priced differently. For example, Lyft costs a little more in an affluent market like New York City and a little less in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Head over to the Lyft Cities page to see Lyft prices in your city, or the city you’re visiting.
Example Lyft prices: How much Lyft costs in Los Angeles
Lyft prices in Los Angeles are close to average for US cities, so prices in LA are a good general indicator for how much a Lyft costs nationwide.
|Cost/Mile||Cost/Minute||Base Charge||Service Fee||Minimum Fare|
|Lyft Lux SUV||$4.25||$0.55||$15||$1.85||$25|
What’s the price difference between the Lyft services?
The cost of your Lyft ride is mainly determined by the service that you select. The costs of the different services, from least expensive to most expensive: Lyft Line, Lyft, Lyft Plus, Lyft Premier, Lyft Lux, Lux SUV.
How much a Lyft costs on a 4.6 mile, 18-minute ride in LA
What’s the cost of a Lyft of an average ride? The table below shows how much a 4.6 mile, 18 minute Lyft would cost in Los Angeles on all of the various Lyft services.
|Lyft Ride Type||Cost (4.6 miles, 18 minutes)|
How to contact Lyft customer service
If you have a question about Lyft pricing in your area, you can contact Lyft customer service at help.lyft.com.
Try Lyft! New users can use promo code ‘LYFTRSD‘
Want to try Lyft? Download the app and input my promo code to get free credits toward your first ride. Important! Make sure you input the promo code before you request the ride. I may receive a commission or app credits if you sign up using my download link or promo code.